Thursday, July 7, 2011

On the Road to Breyerfest Part 1

To tell you the truth, I'm nervous about breyerfest. Very nervous. Since my family is moving during this time there is a lot of stuff going on, Including moving tons and tons of breyer horses. Some of which are customs in progress. You don't even know the half of it. However I'm a little depressed about moving because I have lived in this house for my entire life. So today I'm going to give you some tips about going to the exciting place we know as breyerfest. Breyerfest is one of the fastest filling shows in America which makes it some tough competition. I've had my fair share of tough and ahem, hellish people, but breyerfest is filled with craziness you would never believe. I know that firsthand because I am sometimes behind that craziness. However these are some VERY helpful tips to stay calm and relaxed during and after the show.
It has always helped me to bring a list of every model I am bringing to my show. I make a simple chart in my microsoft word program with 5 columns. One column should have the class name and number, one with the horses show name, one column saying "in" one column saying "out" and the last with placing if your horse is lucky enough to receive one. When the show begins and the first horse goes into their class I check the In box, saying that, that specific horse is In their class. When he's done and the class has been pinned I put a check in the out box saying that this horse is out of his class. If this horse won a ribbon I will put the number (1st through 10th) or HB (honorable mention). If not I will place an X in that box. Everytime a horse is out of a class and they don't have a first or second place, I will pack them up and lay them on the table. If I don't have time to do that I will just stand them up and grab the next horse, and when the next shower is in the ring I will put the previous horse away. This way at the end of the show I will not waste time and be able to get out of there as fast as possible.
Another thing that I like to do is buy a Presentation book with plastic page protectors on the inside to put my class list and other show items in so they stay safe. This is another great way to stay organized.  By doing this I stay ontop of everything that is happening at the show and at Breyerfest. I also keep my horses tags in here so that I can just grab them, stick the tag on and place them in the ring. Another thing that you can do is keep your breed description cards and performance description cards in here as well. I keep my dressage tests and showmanship tests here too.
Something else I do is I pack my horses in order of the classes and place a classlist on top of the box. I also place dots next to the classes I have horses in. This way I know who's in the box. In a separate box I put my performance horses and their tack, along with my presentation book. I also put my tickets and buttons in this box along with the most expensive horses I have for sale. (sometimes these sales horses ride in here but other times they don't)
Packing is also a very important component of breyerfest. When I pack I use pony pouches, but If you cant make those, buy simple white fleece from your local craft store and wrap your horses in that. After that wrap your horses in bubble wrap. When you place the horses in the box place bubble wrap in-between the spaces. This should make it that when you shake the box gently NO ONE should move. If they do you need to repack them and try again.
I'm leaving for breyerfest on the 13th or 12th. Everyday I will try to post something new to help you guys. I will also be recording some videos so check my youtube channel- FeatherBlue100 and My Facebook- Jojo Peckham, for any new updates. I will also be at the swap meet, but thats another story for another day and another blog post.
Thanks for reading! ~Jojo

No comments:

Post a Comment